Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Triggers Happen

Last night when I got home from work, I was hungry. Today at work, there was fruit cake in the common area and it made me want some. Did you hear me!? Fruit cake. That is pathetic. I can honestly say that I have NEVER before wanted some fruit cake. Aren't there songs about how bad fruit cake is? That's obviously why someone brought it to the common area. You could put all your unwanted See's candies there that have bites out of them and they'd get eaten there.

That led me to ask myself WHY those things were triggers? Obviously, I am eating less and I haven't had processed sugar for 5 days. As for last night though, here are my thoughts: like a smoker who needs a cigarette after a meal or when they are drinking, I have always eaten when I got home from work. For whatever reason. But when I stopped to think about whether I was really hungry or just mentally hungry, I had to be honest - it was all in my head. So the trick here isn't not eating (because that would stop working after a few days), it is training myself to ask if I'm REALLY hungry instead of just eating because I got home from work. Getting home from work isn't a reason to eat. Hunger is. Physical hunger. Can I ask myself that question everytime I'm hungry? I honestly don't know. I haven't been able to for 32 years. But old habits die hard and I'm doing my best to kill them.

And for the fruit cake - don't judge. It WAS right before lunch, so that is what I'm thinking happened, but still. I'm ashamed. For some reason, I feel shame admitting that I wanted a piece of fruit cake. Like I might as well admit I wanted to dig in the trash can behind a Dunkin' Doughnuts or something. I might feel less shame with that! But I figured out that when I am REALLY hungry and it is time to feed my body, my will power is weaker than at other times. For me and what I am doing, that doesn't mean to snack on something else as that might trigger me in and of itself. I think all that means is that I have to focus, ask myself some questions and be HONEST in my answers to myself.

Brad says in his book (and Scott reminded me last night) that the human mind has the incredible ability to justify things. We know that we shouldn't eat 6 cookies at a sitting. But somehow, we are able to justify to ourselves that just this time isn't going to be a big deal. Or that we'll make sure and workout the next day. Yet all of those "justifications" have led me here. If not treated right, triggers lead to justifications which lead to weight gain.

They say, "s--- happens." True. But it's how you deal with it that defines you. So I say, "triggers happen." And it is whether I justify them or not that defines my waistline.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

you are so amazing at writing these blogs Cara. I can relate 83973% You go girl!!

Kristal said...

seriously cara, awesome! I'm soo proud of you...and excited for you, and so happy to be learning from you. I have a serious sugar addiction, and in december, I hti my breaking point. It was making my heart go crazy and at night I'd cry becuase I hoenstly felt that I had NO control. I'm on day 15 of no sugar, and feel sooo good. I haven't lost weight yet because I'm eatting other things to cover (bad) but i"m off sugar, dairy, and hopefully soon, bread. ha. Anyway, I LOVE reading your posts! Great info and great lessons.

Janine said...

The only time I ate (and relished) fruit cake was on my mission, when all food sucked! Suddenly fruit cake wasn't so bad, so I totally understand-- at least the lame food looking good thing. No shame about that, it is all relative. :)

Nichole Gaertner said...

My friend has been telling me she was going to make me sign a contract with her... and today we did. Reading through your blog is helping me realize that I can do this too. Good luck to you!!!

Kelli said...

You are great at sharing your thoughts and experiences! We've all been there with the shameful cravings :) I am so impressed with the knowledge, understanding and insight that you are sharing. Thanks, you are an inspriration to us all. Keep up the good work!

Amy said...

I feel the same way when I get home from work, like food is going to help me decompress. Instead of eating, I either drink a big glass of water, which I hate, or just busy myself picking up all the toys and clothing strewn around the house. Or I put on music and watch my kids dance because it's distracting!