Saturday, January 22, 2011

Constant Motivation

I have lost 8 lbs. in 6 days. That's pretty danged fabulous. I understand in my mind that it can't continue at that rate, but the last three days, the scale hasn't moved. Add on top of that the fact that when Evan took my measurements, they weren't any smaller than a month ago. Motivation has been a bit tough for me the last few days. Triggers have been more often and I couldn't figure out why. I refrained from stealing a graham cracker out of my kids' hands, but (no need to call CPS) I thought about it.

In the past, some of my motivation has come from success. Today, I realized that THAT is one of the reasons why after a few weeks, I give up. For me, plateau = time to cheat. This morning, I was SURE that the scale would have budged. I was wrong. Instead of being frustrated, however, I thought, "It's okay. My body needs a few days to catch up." Then, I got on the treadmill. In his book, Brad talks about moving meditation - moving without music, reading or other forms of distraction - so I ditched my workout mix and just walked. And while I was just walking, I realized that my source of motivation has been a really bad one.

Playing off of Brad's term, "moving meditation," I was using "moving motivation." How could I expect to stay motivated when I was having a bad day? THAT is the time I needed the MOST motivation. And, in the past, that was the time I was giving up. During my moving mediation time, I realized that I need to be motivated by something steadfast. Constant. Like my husband and kids. Like my desire to have a healthy body. Those are constants in my life. Pretty big epiphany today. I realized how wrong I have been and how I was setting myself up to fail every single time I started.

2 comments:

Nichole Gaertner said...

Cara, you are so strong and so smart. Remember this. Losing weight is so hard and it's a struggle but mostly the food is such a battle to master. Especially since we have it and be around it daily. Don't be discouraged, but also try to have realistic expecations. You can do this. You've done AMAZING! :)

Amy said...

I think we all fall into the trap of instant gratification and quick results. No wonder all of the diet pill companies are doing so well! I love this post - it was a good reality check for me too.
And 8 pounds is an awesome start, don't let the plateaus knock you over :)