Saturday, January 15, 2011

The call that started it all...

I have a friend named Scott Lamm that I worked with at Wade Cook about 12 years ago. I have been following him on Facebook for several months. I found out that his brother, Brad Lamm, is a contributing expert for the Dr. Oz show. He wrote a book about weight loss called Just 10 Pounds, for which Dr. Oz wrote the foreword. This book came out on Wednesday, January 5th. Scott posted about it on Facebook and I ordered the book and commented to Scott that I was looking forward to its arrival. Out of the blue, Scott called me on Thursday night at about 5 PM, January 6th and asked me about my weight loss journey. After I told him all that I had been through, including my failed attempts (the lapband, etc.) and my mother's struggle, he asked me to be on the show with his brother. In return, they would coach me and give me the tools necessary to be successful in this attempt. I had 2 hours to make a decision.

I was very nervous. This is something so personal - especially about my mom. I wasn't sure I wanted to share my story with America. However, I want to have the tools to be able to teach Vienna and Carter how to cope with emotions, both good and bad, without turning to food. At this point in my life, I don't know how to do that. I would do anything to be able to give them a happy and healthy life - including "air my dirty laundry" on National TV.

Friday morning was a whirlwind. I had several phone interviews, including one with Rachel, a producer of The View. This was kind of an audition. Bottom line, they thought that the public would relate to my story and wanted me to share it. I flew to New York on Tuesday the 11th, taped the show on Wednesday and it aired on Friday.

I hope that if you have time, you will watch so that I can feel that I have friends watching me instead of judgemental strangers. I hope that will make me feel a bit calmer. I also hope that you will support me in this journey - it has been a long road and I feel like there is finally light at the end of the tunnel.

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

Hey Cara! I saw you on the view! Way to go and best of luck!!!
Lindsey Christensen (Sis.Robinson from TSAM)

Unknown said...

I watched the program and felt it was VERY inspiring. I'm thankful for you sharing what you've been through and demonstrating exceptional courage to share personal info with America. I believe it will help so many who have watched and that can relate and whom understand that weight loss is difficult AND a different challenge for each of us. I don't think there are enough people who get it-understand and with (perhaps) trying to be helpful, only minimize the struggle with generalizing a 'one size fits all' mentality or down right negative judgment.
Thank you Cara again for sharing your inspiring story!

~Kristi P.

Unknown said...

I'm so proud of you Cara!! I am behind you 100 % !!! I know you can do it!!

Liz Amason said...

Great blog Cara! I've ordered the book and am counting the days.