Saturday, January 15, 2011

It's amazing...

It's amazing how much people watch what you eat when you go in front of America and tell them that you are trying to lose weight. After the show viewed on Friday, I went to get a grilled chicken breast from the cafeteria at Fluke to supplement my salad. On my way back to my desk, no less than 6 people commented on my food.

It's amazing how sweet an orange is when you aren't eating processed sugar. Or how much you can appreciate a breast of chicken when it is the only protein you are eating in your meal and you are only eating 4 ounces...
Finally, it's amazing how much more I noticed the sights and smells of food today at Pike Place Market. Evan's family is all up from Arizona for the weekend and we took them to Pike Place to look around. I have been to Pike's more than a dozen times and have always snacked on the samples and eaten whatever everyone else was eating. Today, the family ate fresh doughnuts, macaroni and cheese, mexican food and pizza while I ate the food I had commited to last night. As I was walking through the market, I felt my senses heightened...smells were stronger, colors brighter, the air even seemed cooler. I will be honest - it was TOUGH. All I could think of was how good the pastries smelled or how yummy the melted cheese on the pasta looked. It seemed that around every corner was a temptation, like the universe wanted to test me. And any other time I have tried to lose weight, I would have given in and eaten one or two or all of those things. But not today. Today, I triumphed. And, I look forward to my next trip to Pike's Market, when the smells are not such a temptation, but the other senses make it an even more enjoyable trip.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That had to have been quite challenging GREAT job at being strong!!! It is hard!! ESP at a restaurant!! I'm also going through something very similar...hardest thing ever..day 5 for me concluding. I've noticed the same thing. I really taste every bite and enjoy the tastes in a different way. Thought it was just me, so nice to hear this is typical. How are you doing with evenings?

Nichole Gaertner said...

Hey you! I'm so excited to see you're putting up a blog about your weight loss journey! I started one in April and I am so thankful I have it. It's a great place to shout out your excitement and saddness through out this process. I look forward to reading yours. :) If you're ever curious you can check mine out at www.hardworkmakeshealthy.blogspot.com .
Good luck! ~Nichole

Amy said...

I'm so proud of you. I could write volumes, but I won't. Getting past the first week is the hardest, but this is a lifestyle change and not a "diet".
hugs,
Sn**f

Tawnya said...

We saw your spot and Kolby said "that's the quietest I've seen Cara!" lol I'm excited to see your progress and love that you have a new blog for me to stalk.