Saturday, January 29, 2011

The first 10

It's been quite a busy and emotional week. Today, I begged my husband to pull the scale out of the abyss (he has to hide it from me because I can get a wee bit obsessed) so I could see if I hit my first Just 10 goal. I was SO close last time I weighed - I couldn't stand not celebrating if I had hit my goal. Lo and behold, I HAD! I jumped all around and had a mini-celebration right there in the bathroom. The babies clapped - although they clap when they play in the toilet, too. I then hugged my husband and thanked him for his support. My support team (aka all of YOU) has been the one constant difference from any other weight loss attempt I've had. And I rewarded myself today with lunch with a dear friend and a well-past-due pedicure.

I've been struck this week at how much easier it is to be successful when those around me know my goal. I told Dave today at lunch that I don't think people talk about sex, money or dieting enough. I think that in the right setting, with the right choice of topics, it is healthy to speak out about those things. I've never told so many people what my goals were before - for fear of judgement, mocking, misunderstanding, whatever. This time - well, I told America. :)

It has been an interesting social experiment, though. I can't tell you how many people have asked me what I am doing, what I am learning, how the book was, etc. Seems once YOU are honest with someone about your desire to become healthy, THEY are more open to discussing it with you. And this has been such a blessing. First, I know I'm not alone - I'm not the freak that I have sometimes thought I was. (Even super-fit Dave admitted to being a stress eater) Second, I have enough people to be accountable to that the chances of messing up are quite slim. Trust me. If I even thought of cheating - I know which of my friends would be all over me - tearing carbohydrates out of my shaking hands.

My niece's 2nd birthday is tomorrow. Per tradition, we are all going to have dinner together. My sister-in-law and brother called to find out what I could eat. I gave them the rules of the Love-Centered Diet and they planned the menu around it. I apologized. I don't know why, really. I guess I don't want to make anyone feel that I am forcing them to accommodate me. But my sister-in-law told me, "It's okay. That's what we should all be eating anyway." Amen, sister. (No pun intended.) Brad has mentioned that through my lifestyle change, I can have an affect on those around me - including my family. And at the first test, my family passed with flying colors. They don't want me to fail. They want to support me because they love me. They don't love me enough to not have cake, but enough to make me fruit salad instead. :)

At work, we have a cafeteria where we can get breakfast and lunch. The chef, Shane, is constantly trying to make everyone happy. Of course, cooking for 1,000 people (and different and sometimes whiny taste buds) a day is tough. I told him about Brad's book and how I was eating. He now has a "Cara menu" for when I am in a catered meeting so that I can continue to stay on course. The other morning, I didn't have time to pack a lunch, so I asked him if he could prepare me something that day for lunch. When I went in to eat, I saw that he had put my meal on the menu! By the time I got there at noon, he had already sold 15! He told me that every Wednesday, he is going to do a special "Just 10" lunch for me and the rest of my co-workers.

None of those things would have happened if I hadn't been brave enough to tell those around me what my challenges and goals were. Was it embarrassing to go on national television and admit that I had a food addiction? Um - yes. (Quite, actually.) But did it start a snowball of change in my life? Yes. And for that, I will always be grateful.

10 down. And starting today, 10 more to go.

6 comments:

Candice said...

AWESOME Im so proud of you! and how great it is that you have all this support around you! you are totally keeping me on track to do better everyday so thank you!! love you!

Kelli said...

I am so amazed! And proud. I love seeing people succeed. I am so happy for you. You are an inspiration to me. I thnik of you when I am making my own food choices, and they have improved. Thank you for being you and sharing your journey with all of us. You rock! Keep it up. And cheers to the next ten!

Tawnya said...

10 already?? Awesome!!

Janine said...

I would want the "Cara" special too! It is nice to have people in your corner, and the support really helps.

Amy said...

I love you. FIERCELY.

Lisa www.nosickvisits.com ; www.just10lbswithlisa.blogspot.com said...

Thanks so much for your honesty and sharing. Keep at it Cara....sounds like you hae a great support team around you. :))