Saturday, February 5, 2011

"Spaghetti" Just 10 style

My friend, Kristine, emailed me and told me about something she made for dinner, so I thought I'd try to create my own version. It was something different and yummy, so I thought I'd share. Thanks for the idea, Kristine!

1 4 lb. spaghetti squash, baked, boiled or steamed (we ate less than half between the two of us)
lean ground beef cooked and fat removed (4 oz. each person)
1 can chopped tomatoes (you could use crushed or diced)
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 Tbls dried basil
1/2 Tbls. dried oregano
1/2 tea. thyme
1/4 tea. marjoram
salt to taste

Cook the onion and garlic with cooking spray until soft. Add tomatoes and spices and simmer until flavors blend. Add ground beef. Serve over "noodles."

3 comments:

Kelli said...

Rachel Ray mentioned this idea on Dr Oz's show this week. I thought it looked interesting, but Jess is mostly anti squash. So tell me, does spaghetti squash taste really squash-y in this meal? Silly question, I know, but I'm not sure that wouldn't be a meal I was eating alone, despite how much I love hearing chants of "this is disgusting!" from my kids!
Keep up the good work. I love reading your posts. Very inspiring.

Cara Fish said...

I'd love to tell you that it tastes like pasta, but it does not. Do your kids think squash is disgusting? I can say, that it tastes like squash for sure, but more mild than any I've ever tasted and the meat and tomatoes are quite bold flavors to mask it. But, it does taste like squash. I would call it a 4 on the 1-10 squash meter. :)

Unknown said...

I just love it! For me it totally gave me the feeling like I was eating real pasta. I mean I had a decent plate full and felt like I was cheating. Cool! I made a tomato sauce all natural ingredients garlic onion blanched tomatoes so that gave it that spaghetti flavor...Glad you enjoyed it!!!!!