Saturday, February 12, 2011

Healthy Habits

While ringing up our groceries this morning, the lady at Safeway said, "Oh, you really eat healthy. You got only healthy food. Good job!" Not sure why she commented - if it was just because we don't LOOK healthy, or if she tries to eat healthy, so she noticed. I don't know. What I do know is that I thought it was interesting. No one has ever commented on my groceries before - and we've tried to eat healthy lots of times. Here was our grocery list:

Greek Yogurt
Mushrooms
Onions
Asparagus
Zucchini
Turkey Bacon
Chicken
Oatmeal (for the babies)
Strawberries
Lemons
Apples
Oranges
Spinach
Milk (babies)
Eggs
Canned Fruit (babies)

I hadn't spent the time to think of it, but the grocery store is where it all starts. If you are bringing healthy foods into your home, you are bringing healthy foods into your body. After a while, (some days it feels like a LONG while) your body becomes healthier. I've heard you should try to stay on the perimeter of the grocery store - where the food is less processed. The majority of our list is there. No preservatives, no additives. Making my own food gives me the control to know what is going in my body.

Also, we've been taking the babies and dogs for a walk everyday. Not super easy in Seattle, but we do it. It takes quite a few layers of clothing and some velcro to keep everything on our children, but it has been worth it. They say it takes 3 weeks to create a new habit. Tomorrow will mark Day 30 on the Love-Centered Diet. Would I dare say we have created new healthy habits?

Healthy choices translate into healthy habits. Through example, we teach those habits to our children and those around us. And that is what this is all about for me.

2 comments:

connie diebold said...

Cara, you inspire me!!! your doing great...i must start on that 30 lbs i have to lose...one day at a time...thanks for the updates.

Unknown said...

Some people just pay more attention to things like that! I know when I am at the grocery store I always notice if the person in front of me has a lot of crap food or healthy food. I wish I could hit the 30 day mark for not biting my nails :) I love you. Your doing great!