Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Saying goodbye

Evan and I tried on all of our clothes and filled a basket with clothes that are too big for us. I have always kept my clothes before because I am too cheap to buy more and I have never believed in myself enough to think that I would never need them again. History repeats itself, you know? This time, we are saying goodbye. It was harder than I thought it would be.

Evan is sad that we have to "spend money" to buy him new clothes, but he'll have to get over it. My hot husband had better look good! That is a non-negotiable for me. We have had to triple our clothing budget for the next few months in order to have enough money to not be naked. No one really wants to see that. Yet. I did let him keep his one shirt he has had since high school. But only for looking at - it is not to be worn. I think a good rule of thumb is - if you can see through it, you don't wear it. I mean, at least at our age, eh?

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Mike wants the blue striped shirt!

Brad Lamm said...

So wild here Cara. On tomorrow's radio show I'm doing a whole segment on creating ceremonies or a ritual that honors the past and SHUTS THE DOOR ON IT.

Survey the joint and remove the "emergency" clothing (as I used to call it in my mind, just in case I got heavy again) and then pull it, then get rid of it.

I like:

- A Fire
: )

- A Yard Sale

- A Goodwill or Housing Works (a thrift store)

By removing them, you remove the sad comfort they can give.

I'm so proud of you two. Just made my day all over again - and it was going pretty good. Here in Chicago. Going to get to see Oprah tomorrow. Bliss.

You are loved, and encouraged.

x
Brad

Anonymous said...

Hi Cara:
Congratulations on your journey to your thinner you! I'm on the same journey!
I knew Brad from school, and he did the surprise-at-my-front-door tactic for Good Day LA out here 3 weeks ago. It was great!
I'm very much looking forward to getting rid of my "fat clothes". I still have so many of my skinny clothes. WANTING to fit into them again someday - afraid to throw them away ever because that would mean I'd never be skinny again.
Best of luck! I'll be rooting for you as I follow your blog.
-Monica

Just 10 Is The Commitment said...

Hi Cara,

I'm so happy for you in your journey. I was you on The View. Brad and Scott were at my door the day after Brad was at your home. I am so happy about what I am learning. The support has been wonderful. Brad and Scott have really helped keep me on track with my emotions and food. I really enjoyed your blog I will continue following you. I am working on a blog for myself. I relate to your relationship with food, the smells and the habits. You put things in words so well. Thank you for sharing. I look forward to future posts.
My Best to you,
Kay Haveman