Thursday, March 10, 2011

Becoming a Habit

No, I'm not dead. :) I'm also not cheating. I've had a few rough weeks, though. First, I got bronchitis and WISHED I was dead. It was the sickest I've been in years and it took all the energy I had just to walk downstairs. I got it from someone at work who came in even though she was sick. I think that is the rudest thing of all time and I make no bones about it. THEN, my 18 month-old son fractured his collarbone. If you want to see something pathetic, find a baby with a sling on his arm. It broke my heart. All he wanted was for me to hold him. Literally, for 2 days, I held him for most of his (and my) waking hours. THEN, he got my bronchitis and the coughing hurt his shoulder and his misery was infectious. It was a pretty rough few weeks. But we made it and here I am.

I can say that I don't have much to report, which is actually something to report. Life is just business as usual, which means that this has become usual. Healthy meals are planned, grocery shopping on Saturdays are normal, (we have to shop once a week to make sure we have the freshest produce) making breakfast together has become a routine and packed lunches are normal for us. Also, we've been taking family walks every evening and the babies now know where their jackets are, where the stroller is, etc. We've done it so much, it has become habit for them, too.

I was on my treadmill last night and realized that I was running at a 4.5 with no problem. It was too easy and I had to change it up. Before, I was walking at a 3.5 and counting the minutes until the hell was over. Now, 4.5 is no problem. Also, today I am starting a new thing. My workplace just opened a new gym. I thought I would never need it because we have a treadmill at home. But if I workout before I even leave work, I will get home only 30 minutes later than I would have and my workout will be done. I'm going to see how that goes as far as feeling guilty that I'm not with my kids. I can say, I'm pretty excited about it and I can GUARANTEE that I wouldn't have said that 3 months ago.

I haven't really weighed myself in a while, but I can tell that this 10 pounds is taking its time coming off. I'm not really sure why that is, except for illness, stress and general upset to life. What's different about this time? I haven't given up. If nothing else - if I lose no more weight for another week - I haven't given up. THAT is a victory and I will take all the victories I can at this point.

2 comments:

Kelli said...

I've missed you. I figured you had your hands full with the collarbone injury and such. I'm glad things are going well.

Nichole Gaertner said...

Oh man! That is rough Cara! It's so hard to stay in a regimine when life feels like the pits. :) Good job!!!